On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 at 17:27, Will Senn wrote: > On 3/13/24 3:12 PM, Henry Bent wrote: > > Hi all, > > I've been working quite a bit recently with SunOS 4 on a SPARCstation 5, > seeing what I can coax out of it in terms of building and supporting a > modern computing environment. I know that TUHS isn't really the right > place for this, but can someone point me to somewhere that is? I've made > significant progress in some areas and spent a lot of cycles to get there - > for instance, I have GCC 3.4.6 up and running - so I'd like to contribute > to a community if one exists. Is there a modern equivalent of sun-managers? > > -Henry > > Not an answer to the question, but on a tangent... > > I recently saw that Solaris 11.4 SRU66 was released and had a yearning to > see how things in Solaris land were doing (can't stand Gnome so > OpenIndiana's a bust)... but with Oracle's Solaris, it's a mess at least > for hobbyists (only get release patches, so I'm guessing the most up to > date 'release' was 11.4 in 2018). So, when I saw your post on SunOS 4, I > thought I'd tool around and see if it was easy to get rolling as a VM, > turns out things have come a long way on that front: > > https://defcon.no/sysadm/playing-with-sunos-4-1-4-on-qemu/ > > OpenWindows 3... wow... works great on my Mint instance. Now, if I could > just remember how commands work on SunOS :). > Thanks Will! You may also be interested in https://john-millikin.com/running-sunos-4-in-qemu-sparc as another resource about running SunOS 4 in QEMU. I have considered moving my setup to QEMU, especially as it would be very easy to create a hard drive image since I am using a SCSI2SD board, but there is something about running these things on the original hardware that is difficult to leave behind. -Henry