On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 at 13:27, Clem Cole wrote: > below... > > On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 7:08 PM Robert Clausecker wrote: > >> It's a bit rough around >> the edges and the runtime code needs some work (division and >> remainder are missing), but it does compile B code correctly, >> generating acceptable code (for my taste, though the function call >> sequence could be better). >> > A suggestion, Load TSS/8 on to your simh system with its Algol compiler > and look at how it generated code. I would suspect you can use Algol's > calling conventions and probably some of its runtime. Google is your > friend. I had it running a while back, but do not have it active at the > moment - the key is all the pieces should be findable in the wild,. > > >> >> I hope some of you enjoy this compiler for an important historical >> language for an important historical computer (makes me wonder why >> the two weren't married before). >> > Might have been, although when Ken created B for the PDP-7, BCPL was his > model and there were already implementations of BCPL around for a number of > processors. I would not be surprised if there was a BCPL/8. I would check > in the DECUS library, much of which I think can be found online these days > ??bit savers??. > I checked here: http://so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/software/decus.php but did not immediately see anything BCPL related. 8-330 is TSS/8 ALGOL. -Henry