On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 11:38 AM Warner Losh wrote: > On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 9:27 AM Dan Cross wrote: > >> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 10:54 AM Clem Cole wrote: >> >>> Too bad, they did not use the UNIX tool kit like troff and eqn which are >>> described in the paper itself, to restore it. If you were going to the >>> trouble to make the 'md' file - it would have been just as easy to create >>> troff source. >>> >> >> In fairness, the Markdown renders directly from the github web UI, but I >> agree that using troff/eqn would have been nice. Surely it wouldn't be that >> hard to massage the markdown into troff markdown. >> > > There are a few MD to troff converters, though I don't know how many will > convert to -ms format that was likely used historically. And given that ms > has a little more semantic info than MD does, there may be some manual > steps afterwards. Even a perfect converter would likely have manual steps > since it was also the custom back in the day to tweak this or that in the > output... > Sure, but this is a fairly short paper...I bet one could do a fairly faithful reproduction of the original in a couple of hours. I may take a stab at it and send a pull request. - Dan C.