On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 12:24 PM Paul Winalski wrote: > On 5/16/20, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote: > > > > Why was there no byte or "mem" type? > > These days machine architecture has settled on the 8-bit byte as the > unit for addressing, but it wasn't always the case. The PDP-10 > addressed memory in 36-bit units. The character manipulating > instructions could deal with a variety of different byte lengths: you > could store six 6-bit BCD characters per machine word, Was this perhaps a typo for 9 4-bit BCD digits? I have heard that a reason for the 36-bit word size of computers of that era was that the main competition at the time was against mechanical calculator, which had 9-digit precision. 9*4=36, so 9 BCD digits could fit into a single word, for parity with the competition. 6x6-bit data would certainly hold BAUDOT data, and I thought the Univac/CDC machines supported a 6-bit character set? Does this live on in the Unisys 1100-series machines? I see some reference to FIELDATA online. I feel like this might be drifting into COFF territory now; Cc'ing there. or five ASCII > 7-bit characters (with a bit left over), or four 8-bit characters > (ASCII plus parity, with four bits left over), or four 9-bit > characters. > > Regarding a "mem" type, take a look at BLISS. The only data type that > language has is the machine word. > > > +getfield(buf) > > +char buf[]; > > +{ > > + int j; > > + char c; > > + > > + j = 0; > > + while((c = buf[j] = getc(iobuf)) >= 0) > > + if(c==':' || c=='\n') { > > + buf[j] =0; > > + return(1); > > + } else > > + j++; > > + return(0); > > +} > > > > so here the EOF was different and char was signed 7-bit it seems. > > That makes perfect sense if you're dealing with ASCII, which is a > 7-bit character set. To bring it back slightly to Unix, when Mary Ann and I were playing around with First Edition on the emulated PDP-7 at LCM+L during the Unix50 event last USENIX, I have a vague recollection that the B routine for reading a character from stdin was either `getchar` or `getc`. I had some impression that this did some magic necessary to extract a character from half of an 18-bit word (maybe it just zeroed the upper half of a word or something). If I had to guess, I imagine that the coincidence between "character" and "byte" in C is a quirk of this history, as opposed to any special hidden meaning regarding textual vs binary data, particularly since Unix makes no real distinction between the two: files are just unstructured bags of bytes, they're called 'char' because that was just the way things had always been. - Dan C.