On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 8:57 PM Tomasz Rola wrote: > On Sat, Jul 03, 2021 at 09:20:57AM -0400, Dan Cross wrote: > [...] > > Much of Unix's early evolution and thus architecture and philosophy, came > > from addressing a set of problems that people had in a historical context > > that, one could argue, aren't that relevant anymore. > > I mostly agree with you, but I think certain things should be > expressed more explicitly, even if I do not want to be picky. So, I > see the claim of Unix not being relevant anymore might be interpreted > in two ways, and both are not (quite) true. I didn't say that Unix is no longer relevant. I said that the problems that were prominent when Unix was built, and that thus shaped its architecture, are much _less_ relevant now than they were at the time. They still have some relevance, but are no longer primary for the vast majority of use cases Unix is used for. Further, the way people approach problems now has changed, even if they still generically assume "Unix" as the base they build on. - Dan C.