Really? Except for one particularly incompetent team, I cannot recall working with nor reviewing code that sacrificed clarity for performance. Tyler On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 9:51 PM Jon Steinhart wrote: > Tyler Adams writes: > > > > For sure, I've seen at least two interesting changes: > > - market forces have pushed fast iteration and fast prototyping into the > > mainstream in the form of Silicon valley "fail fast" culture and the > > "agile" culture. This, over the disastrous "waterfall" style, has led to > a > > momentous improvement in overall productivity improvements. > > - As coders get pulled away from the machine and performance is less and > > less in coders hands, engineers aren't sucked into (premature) > optimization > > as much. > > It's interesting in more than one way. > > The "fail fast" culture seems to result in a lot more failure than I find > acceptable. > > As performance is less in coders hands, performance is getting worse. I > haven't seen less premature optimization, I've just seen more premature > optimization that didn't optimize anything. > > My take is that the above changes have resulted in less reliable products > with poor performance being delivered more quickly. I'm just kind of weird > in that I'd prefer better products delivered more slowly. Especially since > much of what counts as a product these days is just churn to keep people > buying, not to provide things that are actually useful. >