[reply is below, as top-posting is for godless heathens] On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 2:53 PM John Floren via TUHS wrote: > > Will Senn writes: > [snip] > > restore. GUI? KDE and Xfce work... not my faves, but better than Gnome > > for my taste. My only gripe with it is that I run a huge number of > [snip] > > Ok so I've always been confused by how often I see this come > up... don't FreeBSD, and Debian, and Ubuntu, and Redhat, and OpenBSD, > etc. all ship a huge variety of window managers and desktop environments > right there in the package manager? I guess I haven't run Gnome in 15 > years but everything else I ever want (fvwm, xfce, stumpwm, twm, KDE) is > always available with a quick install command. > > I remember for a long time people would talk about how they were going > to install Xubuntu or Kubuntu or Lubuntu because they didn't like the > Gnome interface on Ubuntu... blow away your whole root partition rather > than run "apt-get install kde"? > > john > I thought most desktops (specifically Xfce, GNOME, KDE) required Wayland and SystemD these days? Wouldn't that rule out *BSD?