Thank you for responding. My recollection is that one of your folks put the spelling corrector into the shell so when I typed the wrong letters for a directory or file, the spelling correct would help. It was particularly noticible in the "chdir - cd" shell command. Do you recall any such person and if so, did he (and it was a he) use Peter's work? There was a distance algorithm that was far better than anything I've seen since. Yes, please send me Peter's contact information. I am Ed Bradford, Ph.D. Physics, retired from IBM Pflugerville,TX egbegb2@gmail.com PS: We chatted sometime in 1980 or so about adding database capabilities to the interactive environment. I was interested in adding it to the Bourne Shell at the time. On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 2:23 PM M Douglas McIlroy < m.douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote: > > I was a BTL person for 8 years between 1976 and 1984. During > > that time there was a spelling corrector that was better than > > anything I see today. There was a concept of "spelling distance" > > that corrected a whole bunch of stuff that even today cannot be > > corrected. > > > Who in that era worked on spelling correction at BTL. I was at > > Columbus BTL (1976-1979) and Whippany BTL (1979-1984). > > Peter Nelson made an interface to spell(1) that showed putative errors in > context. I believe it could suggest corrections. I remember the project; I > installed hooks for it in spell(1). I don't remember the date, but it would > probably not have been early enough for you to have used it in Columbus. > > If there's a chance that Peter's program is the one you remember > and you'd like to get in touch with him, I can give you his > email address. > > Doug > -- Advice is judged by results, not by intentions. Cicero