Den lör 6 feb. 2021 kl 23:39 skrev Dave Horsfall : > On Sat, 6 Feb 2021, Mary Ann Horton wrote: > > > At Berkeley, everybody was already a touch typist. That's why vi > > commands emphasize lower case letters, especially hjkl which are right > > under the home position. The original reason for hjkl was the ADM3A, but > > when I added arrow key support to vi and disabled the hardcoded hjkl, a > > line of grad students made me put it back. > > I'm not surprised :-) We were all playing "rogue" back then. And my > favourite terminal was indeed the ADM-3A; it just seemed to be designed > for Unix, with the ESC key in the right place etc. > I'm probably a youngster in this crowd (no, I'm not calling you old farts, more like people with a long history I respect and am willing to learn from). Born in 1980. But I had similar reasons for feeling at home with hjkl. In the 1980s (I think before I even started school) I got my hands on what was then called HACK for MS-DOS, which of course later became NetHack. So by the time I started playing with Linux and other *nixes in 2000, I didn't have any real learning curve with basic vi usage. Niklas