It was used in academia although it did appear elsewhere for instance in some PLC applications, for a long while some supertankers were running PS/2s with Optio22 I/O boards to control pumps and whatnot. I have seen the media kits in person recently. They comically come with an “action” key cap for your Model M. I have a picture of interested. I don’t think the lack of popularity was any conspiracy. SCO had much better ISV and hardware support for PS/2. And if you had a nickel for a real computer there’s a reason the RS/6000 platform and AIX are still around today, it’s not bad stuff despite being a bit different and foreign. On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 12:03 PM Christopher Browne wrote: > On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 at 13:08, Kevin Bowling > wrote: > >> Clem, >> >> The AIX/386 stuff is readily available http://ps-2.kev009.com/aixps2/ >> and can run in virtualbox >> >> https://astr0baby.wordpress.com/2018/09/14/running-aix-1-3-inside-virtual-box-5-2-16/ >> > > Wow, so the "x86" version of AIX truly existed! > > I had long heard rumour of this, and had heard of it from sources I was > inclined to trust not to be making it up. The dates seem to decently > explain the invisibility; introduction in 1992 and withdrawal in March 1995 > left but a brief period of time when anyone would have been willing to > acknowledge it as a product. > > -- > When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing it to the > question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?" >