It might be interesting to compare your final list with the two lists in the 1978 special issue of the BSTJ--one in the Foreword, the other in the revised version of the Ritchi/Thompson article from the CACM. How have perceptions or values changed over time? Doug On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 7:32 AM Steve Nickolas wrote: > On Mon, 25 Jan 2021, Tyler Adams wrote: > > > I'm writing about my 5 favorite unix design principles on my blog this > > week, and it got me wondering what others' favorite unix design > principles > > are? For reference, mine are: > > > > - Rule of Separation (from TAOUP < > http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/> > > ) > > - Let the Machine Do the Dirty Work (from Elements of Programming Style) > > - Rule of Silence (from TAOUP >) > > - Data Dominates (Rob Pike #5) > > - The SPOT (Single Point of Truth) Rule (from TAOUP > > ) > > > > Tyler > > > > 1. Pipes > 2. Text as the preferred format for input and output > 3. 'Most everything as a file > 4. The idea of simple tools that are optimized for a single task > 5. A powerful scripting language built into the system that, combined with > 1-4, makes writing new tools heaps easier. > > -uso. >