In Go we "just" dedicate a core to GC, problem solved. The arrival of universal multi-CPU hardware made than option. Some tremendous technical work required (for which I take zero credit; see https://blog.golang.org/ismmkeynote) but yeah. -rob On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 11:11 AM David Arnold wrote: > On 2 Aug 2019, at 09:43, Noel Chiappa wrote: > > > Speaking of LISP and GC, it's impressive how GC is not really a big > issue any > > more. At one point people were even building special CPUs that had > hardware > > support for GC; now it seems to be a 'solved problem' on ordinary CPUs. > > I think it’s mostly a side effect of modern hardware speeds. For > applications that care about latency (and especially latency jitter) it’s > still an issue. > > For example, writing low latency trading software in Java requires some > fairly silly hoop-jumping to avoid triggering a collection pass. > > These apps genuinely care about nanoseconds, but the tooling ecosystem and > development time advantages of Java seem to entice a decent number of > people to embark on the work-arounds. > > In most areas though you’re absolutely right — it’s a non-issue now. > > > > d >