On Wed, Mar 13, 2024, 8:14 PM Marc Rochkind wrote: > Don't know the answer to your question, but last I knew the trademark (not > the copyright) was transferred to The Open Group. They came up with a set > of rules for what UNIX is and, as I understand it, for example, Linux is > not a UNIX-like system, it is a UNIX system. > Only some distributions... only a few have gone to the hassle of being certified... and usually on only on or two architectures. (The Open Group isn't interested in implementations of the UNIX standard, > only the standard itself.) > > Things change, and my information is a few years old. For all I know Elon > Musk owns it all now. ;-) > Last I checked, no. Of course by that measure, Unix isn't UNIX anymore... Warner Marc > > On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 6:34 PM segaloco via TUHS wrote: > >> Did some reading today, curious on the current state of things with >> AT&T's UNIX copyright genealogy. The series of events as I understand it >> are: >> >> AT&T partners with Novell for the Univel initiative. >> >> Novell then acquires System V and USL from AT&T. >> >> Novell sells UNIX System V's source to SCO, but as the courts have ruled, >> not the copyright. >> >> Novell gets purchased by Microfocus. >> >> Microfocus gets purchased by OpenText Corporation. >> >> Does this make OpenText the current copyright holders of the commercial >> UNIX line from AT&T. >> >> What got me looking a bit closer into this is curiosity regarding how the >> opening of Solaris and the CDDL may impact publication of UNIX code between >> System III and SVR4. I then felt the need to refresh on who might be the >> current copyright holder and this is where the trail has lead me. >> >> My understanding too is that Sun's release under the CDDL set the >> precedent that other sub-licencees of System V codebases are also at >> liberty to relicense their codebases, but this may be reading too far into >> it. There's also the concern that the ghost of SCO will continue to punish >> anyone else who tries with costly-but-doomed-to-fail litigation. Have >> there been any happenings lately with regards to getting AT&T UNIX >> post-PDP-11 opened up more in the world? Reading up a bit on OpenText's >> business, they don't seem like they're invested in the OS world, seems that >> their primary sector is content management. Granted, there's certainly >> under-the-radar trading of bits and pieces, but it would be nice to have >> some more certainty about what can happen out in the open. >> >> - Matt G. >> > > > -- > *My new email address is mrochkind@gmail.com * >