On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 11:25 AM Will Senn wrote: > As y'all know, I'm a relative latecomer to the world of Unix, but I do try > to figure out how y'all did it back when. So, sometimes, as in this case, I > can figure out how to do something, but I'm curious how it was done back in > the day, moreso than how I can get it done today. I'm looking at the > patching of my shiny new 2.11 BSD pl 431 system running on my speedy little > virtual PDP-11/70, so I grabbed patch 432 (here's a portion of the patch): > ... > To install the update cut where indicated below and save to a file > (/tmp/432) and then: > > cd /tmp > sh 432 > ./432.sh > ./432.rm > sh 432.shar > patch -p0 < 432.patch > > Watch carefully for any rejected parts of the patch. Failure of a > patch typically means the system was not current on all preceeding > updates _or_ that local modifications have been made. > ... > ====== cut here > #! /bin/sh > # This is a shell archive, meaning: > # 1. Remove everything above the #! /bin/sh line. > # 2. Save the resulting text in a file. > # 3. Execute the file with /bin/sh (not csh) to create: > # 432.rm > # 432.sh > # 432.shar > # 432.patch > ... > # End of shell archive > > This seems straightforward. Just follow the directions et voila magic > happens. > > My questions for y'all are how would you go about doing this? Use vi to > delete everything through the ==== cut here line? Use some combination of > standard unix tools to chop it up? What was your workflow for patching up > the system using these files? > sed -e '1,/---cut here---/d' < $patch | sh -x is what I use, but there's a wide variety of 'cut here' lines in the 2.11BSD patches, so I have had to taylor to each patch. > In my world, if I screw something up, it's 15 seconds to run a restore > script in my simh directory and I can try again, so my level of concern for > a mistake is pretty low. If I was doing this in 1980, on real hardware, I > would have had many concerns, as I'm sure some of y'all can remember, how > did you prepare and protect yourselves so a patch was successful. > Yea, it was always a crap-shoot back in the day on slow hardware. Backups on tape were your best bet :(. > BTW, I thought .shar was an archive format, so when I saw the patch was a > shar file, I was worried it would be in some binary form, lo and behold, it > looks like text to me... not even b64. So much to learn, so little time. > It is and it isn't. Mostly isn't for these patches. libarchive supports it, but there's no standard and what libarchive supports is quite limited. Warner > Thanks, > > Will > > -- > GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462 7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF > >