Thanks for doing this John.... On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 4:06 PM John Gilmore wrote: > While cleaning up a few shelves of old USENIX proceedings, I found a > mysterious manila envelope full of xeroxed copies of all the original > UNIX NEWS newsletters from 1975 thru 1977. It was renamed to ;login: > in 1977 and has continued publication to this day. The envelope also > contained ;login: issues v2n6 thru v3n8 (1977-1978). > > I scanned those all in today and put them up on my website, here: > > http://www.toad.com/early-usenix-newsletters/ I've started to recover the text from the special edition, if anybody is interested. It's so badly faded, though, this may take some time... Warner > > These have not been OCR'd, and many of the pages were rotated by 90 > degrees in the original publication, to fit two pages of typewritten > correspondence (or recipient address lists) into one page of newsletter. > Still, in a quick web search I was unable to find copies of these > anywhere else, so I invested a few hours to scan them in and post them > for historical interest. As an example, Sixth Edition (v6) UNIX was > announced in issue number 1. > > These are all free to publish nowadays. USENIX was one of the first > technical organizations to establish an Open Access policy for its > publications, a step which distinguishes them from ACM and many academic > publishers who favor revenue for themselves over the progress of > science. (I voted for this policy decades ago when I was a USENIX board > member.) This page, for example, says: > > https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity20/presentation/schwarz > > "USENIX is committed to Open Access to the research presented at our > events. Papers and proceedings are freely available to everyone once > the event begins. Any video, audio, and/or slides that are posted > after the event are also free and open to everyone." > > The ;login: archives at USENIX.org are complete from October 1997 to today: > > https://www.usenix.org/publications/login > > Also, most but not all issues of ;login: from 1983 to 1997 have been > scanned by USENIX and uploaded to the Internet Archive here: > > https://archive.org/details/usenix-login?&sort=date > > The USENIX Association apparently has paper copies of the stuff I > scanned in today, but they are still trying to locate ;login: issues > from 1979 and parts of 1980 and 1981. In addition, they are backlogged > on scanning in their old materials (including copies of ;login: between > 1978/09 and 1983/02). If you have old copies of ;login: that you don't > see visible in these places, please scan them, or offer them to USENIX. > > Also, if you have old proceedings of USENIX conferences, there are still > three that the USENIX staff do not have any copy of: > > XFree86 Technical Conference > https://www.usenix.org/legacy/publications/library/proceedings/xfree86/ > 2001-11-08 > > 5th Annual Linux Showcase & Conference > > https://www.usenix.org/legacy/publications/library/proceedings/als01/tech.html > 2001-11-08 > > WORLDS '04 > https://www.usenix.org/legacy/events/worlds04/tech/ > 2004-12-05 > > If you have any of these three, please let know. They > also lack about twenty more for which they have posted the academic > papers, but don't have the covers or front-matter, so if you have other > proceedings from between 1989 and 2004 that you'd be willing to part > with or scan, also let them know. Thanks! > > John > >