On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 9:27 AM Paul Ruizendaal wrote: > > > I am now writing code in assembly for the PDP-11. I remember reading > > somewhere that the output from "AS" (my caps) is a bit meagre. I can't > find > > an option to produce a text listing. Is it possible from AS, using > command > > options (I can't see one) or perhaps from "LD"? > > > > Paul > > > > *Paul Riley* > > I had the same problem. As I was porting to a different mini I had to > write a new assembler. As you have undoubtedly seen, early ‘as’ was written > in assembler and not so easy to use as a base. Hence I used Richard’s > Miller’s AS for the Interdata as a base (available on Tuhs): > https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=Interdata732/usr/source/as > > Later I discovered that the TUHS archive has source code for the original > ‘as’ rewritten in C, a work by Roger Jaeger: > https://minnie.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/USDL/Mini-Unix/ > > Maybe adding a listing module to this version of ‘as’ is another possible > route. There's also https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=2.11BSD/src/new/m11/macxrf.c which looks to be decent or better K&R code from a quick look, but I don't know if it works, or if it would be easy to adopt to AT&T/Bell syntax which decorates things less, making it a little harder to infer semantic meanings. Also more digging shows the UNSW tapes / sources also are from Harvard. All roads lead to Harvard for this it seems :) Warner