On Sun, Jun 6, 2021, 12:36 PM Clem Cole wrote: > 4.2 had networking, 4.1 did not. 32V did not either. I'm asking 32V vs > 4.1 > ᐧ > My info is from the 4.2 time frame... Warner On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 2:30 PM Larry McVoy wrote: > >> BSD had networking. Once you had that, you don't look back. Sys V (and >> prior) so far as I know, didn't get networking until Coherent did their >> STREAMS stack that somehow ended up at Lachman - I ported it to a crazy >> super computer and to SCO Unix. SCO was pretty stock AT&T code and let >> me tell you, it felt pretty crappy after having used BSD and then SunOS. >> It was a giant step backwards. >> >> I just think the BSD folks were moving forward faster. Rob with start >> talking about cat waving its tail, I get it, not everything was better >> but a lot was. Solid networking that performed was very pleasant. >> >> On Sun, Jun 06, 2021 at 02:23:49PM -0400, Clem Cole wrote: >> > Paul, >> > >> > You got me thinking and I'm curious if anyone really knows historically >> how >> > many sites ran a 32V system? In those days (late 70s/early 80s) the >> > universities that knew and and even many sites inside the Bell System, >> the >> > Vaxen I ran 4.1BSD (say the Marx's brothers at Whippany along with the >> Vax >> > in the underseas research lab were we put the AP I did for my thesis). >> > There were a couple in Summit I know, and probably Homdel and I'm >> guessing >> > in some of the operating companies, but I never got the feeling 32V was >> > popular. The folks with Vaxen that I knew, if you were able to run BSD >> > (4.1 and eventually 4.2), did. Later on the only non-'pure-joy' >> systems I >> > knew were a couple of Ultrix systems because they wanted the support >> from >> > DEC and IIRC were using FORTRAN and wanted the DEC compiler which only >> ran >> > on Ultrix or VMS. Inside of AT&T, I personally think I knew more folks >> > with VMS (Fortran being the key anchor) than those that ran 32V. >> > ??? >> >> -- >> --- >> Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com >> http://www.mcvoy.com/lm >> >