On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 5:00 PM Dennis Boone wrote: > The tape was made by a PDP-11 system running RT-11. This manual may > help a little: > > > http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/rt11/v5.6_Aug91/AA-PD6PA-TC_RT-11_Volume_and_File_Formats_Manual_Aug91.pdf > > TL;DR - This tape was written by just copying disk files to it, so the > files which contain actual data are just images of the disk files. > > File 2 is a V6 image that's bootable like so %pdp11 sim> set cpu 11/45 sim> att rk0 2.tape sim> boot rk0 @rkunnix login: File 5 - this looks like a file system image. > It's the rest of the sources from the last disk. You can mount it like so if you add a 'att rk1 5.tape' to the above # mkdir /rk1 # /etc/mount /dev/rk1 /rk1 > File 8 - appears to be some sort of archiver output, but while the .ARC > extension might lead you to suspect the old CP/M - MSDOS ARC program was > responsible, that doesn't appear to be the case. > You'd think that from the name, but you can mount it also like the above. With the 'att rk2 8.tape' and 'att rk3 11.tape' # chdir /dev # /etc/mknod rk2 b 0 2 # /etc/mknod rk3 b 0 3 # mkdir /rk2 /rk3 # /etc/mount /dev/rk2 /rk2 # /etc/mount /deev/rk3 /rk3 > File 11 - this is an older format tarball. > Nah, somebody else used the disk before for TAR, and then this was overwritten with a unix filesystem. What's weird is that this is a VENIX system, which should be V7 which should have a different filesystem layout from V6. I'd think I wouldn't be able to see some directories. I'll have to create a V7 system and mount it there... Warner