The C compiler we had at NMT that Greg Titus wrote/rewrote allowed one to pick a number of different choices for character size (5, 6, 7 or 8). It defaulted to 7 or 8. I recall that the defaults produced OK results for student work, but that was a bit slow for pushing the envelope without some very careful choices. But it was good enough for me to write my OS group project running under 'ZAYEF' a DecSystem-20 emulator running on the DecSystem 20 under TOPS-20... My first exposure to virtual machines... It was a total trip to have 18 bit pointers and weird interrupt semantics.... I really rather working on the VAX 11/750 in 'C' and later on the Sun3/50s more, though. In part because the debugger was better (or at least more approachable by my poor undergraduate mind). Warner On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 1:28 PM Clem Cole wrote: > The 'second' C compiler was a PDP-10 and Honeywell (36-bit) target Alan > Synder did for his MIT Thesis. > It was originally targeted to ITS for the PDP-10, but it ran on Tops-20 > also. > > My >>memory<< is he used a 7-bit Character, ala SAIL, with 5 chars stored > in a word with a bit leftover. > > You can check it out: https://github.com/PDP-10/Snyder-C-compiler > > I believe that C compiler Nelson is talking about I believe is actually > Synder's that Jay either ported from ITS or WAITS. > > We had some form of the Synder compiler on the PDP-10's at CMU in the late > 1970s. > It was either Mike Accetta or Fil Aleva that wrote a program to read > PDP-10 backup tapes, that I updated to deal with TOPS-20/TENEX 'dumper' > format which was similar/only different. > ᐧ > > On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 3:03 PM Norman Wilson wrote: > >> Nelson H. F. Beebe: >> >> P.S. Jay was the first to get Steve Johnson's Portable C Compiler, >> pcc, to run on the 36-bit PDP-10, and once we had pcc, we began the >> move from writing utilities in Pascal and PDP-10 assembly language to >> doing them in C. >> >> ====== >> >> How did that C implementation handle ASCII text on the DEC-10? >> Were it a from-scratch UNIX port it might make sense to store >> four eight- or nine-bit bytes to a word, but if (as I sense it >> was) it was C running on TOPS-10 or TOPS-20, it would have had >> to work comfortably with DEC's convention of five 7-bit characters >> (plus a spare bit used by some programs as a flag). >> >> Norman Wilson >> Toronto ON >> >