On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:01 PM Clem Cole wrote: > Kevin/Charlie: > > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:31 PM Kevin Bowling > wrote: > >> Charlie, there is some interesting history of the pre-RS/6000 AIX >> stuff here (you give a quote :)). Particularly page 41 gives a >> chronology of UNIX at IBM: >> >> https://amaus.net/static/S100/IBM/RTPC/AIX%20Family%20Definition%201989.pdf > > Awesome - thank you, > > > >> >> >> Prior to AIX the Series/1 had a UNIX port in the early '80s. I think >> that work happened in Boca Raton. >> > FYI: the original S/1 port was done at Cleveland State with the Seventh > Edition - the name of the Prof that led it I can not say I remember nor his > HW configuration, but I do remember his presentation. It is where the term > 'NUXI' was coined. I want to say in 1979 or 1980, they gave a wonderful > talk about it. They had some help from folks at Case as they did not have > a PDP-11 of their own and never seen UNIX before (*i.e.* they arranged to > borrowed time on a PDP-11 at the EE Dept at Case. They wrote a new back > end for the Ritchie C compiler, and recompiled everything, wrote new > drivers for the S/1 HW and rewrote m40.s as needed. Then they wrote the > disks, then drove the packs back to Cleveland State. IIRC it took a summer > of work to complete). > > FWIW: The PDP-11 has an interesting way it does byte-swapping and when > they first booted the system, the first message was NUXI which was how the > S/1 saw the strings. The term was used from then on in the community to > describe byte-swapping issues. > > I remember all of us in the audience howling with laughter when they > described their work. Unfortunately, this was before USENIX kept > conference proceedings so I'm not sure if the talk and paper were archived. > > And the truth is, I wish we had that port in the TUHS archives. > Me too. This is a port I had no clue about.... I'll have to put it in my slides as "S/1 NUXI" :) Warner