On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 12:38 PM Stuff Received wrote: > On 2024-03-13 23:40, Steve Nickolas wrote: > > On Wed, 13 Mar 2024, Marc Rochkind wrote: > > > >> Don't know the answer to your question, but last I knew the trademark > >> (not > >> the copyright) was transferred to The Open Group. They came up with a > set > >> of rules for what UNIX is and, as I understand it, for example, Linux is > >> not a UNIX-like system, it is a UNIX system. (The Open Group isn't > >> interested in implementations of the UNIX standard, only the standard > >> itself.) > > > > Only those distros that paid them for the right to be called such. > > Not quite -- they do to pass the Single Unix Spec tests. > Only the people that pay for the certification get to claim certified results. The Single Unix Spec is about 20 years old at this point, though. There's been two soon to be three major revisions to Unix since then. It doesn't matter if they pass w/o payment. That confers no rights to use the name Unix. Otherwise, FreeBSD, NetBSD and I think OpenBSD would all be able to use the name 'Unix'. They've all passed some variation of the Unix tests over the years... Warner