On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 11:37 AM Theodore Ts'o wrote: > Twenty years ago, one of larger customers for the company I was > working for at the time (VA Linux Systems) was one of the new > electronic stock exchanges, and they were using Linux boxes with > PDP-11 emulators because their stock trading software was written in > Macro-11 and running on RSTS/E. They had tried three times to rewrite > it so it could run on something more modern, but each time, the > rewrite had ended in failure. So they simply sharded the problem, so > one x86 server running RSTS/E in emulation would service stocks > symbols AAAA--ADZZ, and the next would service stocks AEAA--AFZZ, and > so on. Given that this was back in 1999, I assume they had solved the > Y2K problem one way or another, but even if they hadn't yet, I suspect > it would have been easier for them to fix the problem by asking their > dedicated Macro-11 Software Engineering team to fix it, than to ask > that same team to help the other team put themselves out of a job > (which for some reason, never seemed to happen successfully...) > This is the sort of reason why QBUS x86 machines exist... Not cheap, or easy to come by these days, but they filled a niche of emulation but with access to real hardware... Nor easy to find with a web search, it seems :(. There's a number of nuclear power plants that employ MACRO-11 programmers because they can't swap out the old gear w/o going through a prohibitively expensive recertification process... It's cheaper to hire and train good programmers than it is to go through that process :(. Warner