On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 3:18 PM John Cowan wrote: > > > On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 3:14 PM Dave Horsfall wrote: > > >> > Whose foray? Not DEC's. Eunice was built at SRI and sold by the >> > Wollongong Group, who must have had Downundrian connections. >> > > >> It was >> originally developed ca. 1981 by David Kashtan at SRI[1] and later >> maintained and marketed by The Wollongong Group.'' >> > > Where's the disagreement? > Eunice post-dated DEC's first Unix offering by several years. They sold V7 and later V7M before rebranding it to Ultrix. Eunice was 4.1BSD (later 4.2 and 4.3) that Dr Kashtan grafted into VMS in ways that... provoke strong feelings among reviewers... The TCP/IP stack that was inside of Eunice would form the basis for Wollongong's TCP/IP offerings on VMS... A more refined version, also done I think by Kashtan, was marketed by TGV and there was always much rivalry between the two companies... Wollongong got its license because they were the marketing company formed to market Dr. Miller's port to Interdata, and they later branched out significantly because their license was so special... Or at least that's the story they told customers and internally... I never saw the original license to know... Warner