On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 11:42 AM Tony Finch wrote: > Warner Losh wrote: > > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww60o940kEk > > A small query: I think you dated Mac OS X to 2000, which I guess refers to > the Public Beta [1] but there was a Mac OS X Server 1.0 release in 1999 > [2] and developer preview releases in 1997 and 1998 when it was known by > its codename Rhapsody (apparently Mac OS X Server 1.0 still called itself > Rhapsody [3]). Rhapsody was clearly an intermediate stage between > NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP and Mac OS X, so I suppose it's too different to count > as a continuation, following your argument that 2.11BSD is too different > to 2.9/2.10BSD to count as a continuation... > Yea, that's what I thought. Either one could say that 2.9BSD was continued to 2.10 and 2.11 by Seismo and related folks (which puts its release back to 1983 or 1985 depending on how you count things) and also the NextStep / OpenStep -> Rhapsody -> MacOS would count which puts it 1989 as the first release. There was at least some level of discontinuity in each of the transitions (BSD -> Seismo and NextStep -> MacOS) so I excluded them both... In some ways there's a continuity between CSRG and FreeBSD (Kirk and others) and NetBSD (others) as well, so how do you count that? If you zoom in too much, it becomes hard to make an unambiguous break because the code pased from hand to hand so much with overlapping groups of people... Warner > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Public_Beta > [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Server_1.0 > [3] http://rhapsodyos.org/ > > Tony. > -- > f.anthony.n.finch http://dotat.at/ > Bailey, Fair Isle, Faeroes: Variable mainly northerly 3 to 5, occasionally > 6 > in south Bailey and east Fair Isle. Slight or moderate, becoming rough > later > in southeast Fair Isle. Showers. Good. >