Once you add the "s" editor (so you have a screen editor) and UUCP, v7 is an adequate daily driver, in my recent experience. No, it didn't actually replace my Mac, but with a way to get data on and off it and a decent editor (which I personally do not feel "ed" is)...it's totally OK. I can edit files and move them around, which honestly is most of my job. Adam On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 8:59 PM M Douglas McIlroy < m.douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote: > > Do they *really* want something which is just V7 Unix, with nothing else? > > No TCP/IP, no hot-plug USB support? No web browsing? > > > Oh, you wanted more than that? Feature bloat! Feature bloat! > > Feature bloat! Shame! Shame! Shame! > > % ls /usr/share/man/man2|wc > 495 495 7230 > % ls /bin|wc > 2809 2809 30468 > > How many of roughly 500 system calls (to say nothing of uncounted > ioctl's) do you think are necessary for writing those few crucial > capabilities that distinguish Linux from v7? There is > undeniably bloat, but only a sliver of it contributes to the > distinctive utility of today's systems. > > Or consider this. Unix grew by about 39 system calls in its first > decade, but an average of 40 > per decade ever since. Is this accelerated growth more symptomatic of > maturity or of cancer? > > Doug >