Fortunately, we were once again saved from a monoculture by....mobile phones. Now it has to run on Linux on x86_64 *and* arm64. And because Apple has managed to nail down its brand as The Lifestyle Phone For Rich People, it also has to build in a vaguely-BSD userland for arm (disclaimer: writing this on an M1 Macbook Air, with an iPhone beside me on my desk--but all my real work happens on Linux/x86_64 on Someone Else's Computer, usually Google's but sometimes Amazon's or NCSA's). Adam On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 6:46 AM Theodore Ts'o wrote: > On Sat, Apr 03, 2021 at 07:23:56PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote: > > > > I'm the biggest SunOS 4.x fan boy and I agree. It was ~30 years ago. > > Back then, all the open source stuff, or closed source stuff, took a > > ton of work to make it work. It just worked on SunOS. I can't tell > > you how many times I've brought up X10 or X11 on all sorts of systems > > (it was a good learning experience, you learned to figure out that this > > is part of my graphics card, this and that and that and that is not, > > just ifdef that out and keep going). > > To be fair, a lot of that was because there's a lot of crappy > userspace software out there who assumed that all the world's a Sun > (running SunOS). Previously it was Vax running BSD 4.x, and it's been > superceded these days with "all the world's Linux (running on x86_64)". > > I'm a big Linux fan boy, but that doesn't blind me to the fact that > that there's a lot of cr*p that uses slow, maddening autoconf and > automake build systems, yet have so many Linux'isms in it that won't > build anywhere else. > > The fact that a lot of software easily brings up on a particular OS > doesn't mean that it's inherently better; just that it has the > dominant mindshare. > > - Ted >