Hell, Linux didn't exist at all till '91. I think Xenix was more just a casualty of the Unix Wars. The victors there were SunOS/Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX. There were a bunch more walking wounded that never really achieved much market share. By the time SCO filed suit in 2003, not only were the Unix Wars fairly long over (SCO had lost), but commercial Unixes had largely been supplanted by Linux (and BSD enthusiasts had three free options, and OS X was a thing if you wanted a commercial BSD, but Apple never managed to make much in the way of inroads into the server market). Linux's ascendency happened around the turn of the millennium, as I recall, although I was using AIX at my job as late as 2010-2011, and I presume the Big Several still exist in some form or other. On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 4:28 PM Warner Losh wrote: > > > On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 4:13 PM Dave Horsfall wrote: > >> On Tue, 7 Jan 2020, reed@reedmedia.net wrote: >> >> [...] >> >> > What happened with XENIX? I know it had some success (I used at least >> > one retired system with it), but nothing near the other offerings on >> the >> > PC family. >> >> I was forced to use Xenix for a contracting job (and hated it, as it was >> almost-but-not-quite-Unix, and the differences annoyed me). Wouldn't >> Linux have arrived at around that time? >> > > These mags are from 84 and 85. Linux wasn't really viable until 92 or so. > > Warner >