It’s funny you mention how slow it can be. On a decent Mac with enough ram, it was fine. The later PowerPC native version, running on just about any new world Mac, was really fast. Having said that, running it via Mini vMac on my 2020 MacBook Air, it feels about 1 million times faster than on any physical Mac I ever ran it on. And Gopher …. There is a program I’ve not seen in a very long time. I remember in the early days of the Power Mac, Apple released this really cool 3D gopher client. It ran pretty well on the 6100 I had at the time. - Derrik > On Jul 21, 2020, at 11:44 PM, Jason wrote: > > MachTen was interesting as heck to find. I ran it on a LC recently and it was so slow. I couldn’t work out how to build a linker, but I got a cross compiler (GCC) set your a sun-2 target and gas just worked fine letting me use my Xeon for cross compiling on NFS, and just linking on the Mac. > > With only a 68020 it’s just too slow, and with no mmu it’s just too unstable. But the cool factor is awesome. > > Sadly my attempt at building gopher didn’t work so well. > > > > > > On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 8:33 PM +0800, "Derrik Walker v2.0" > wrote: > > I used Mach10 and Later MkLinux as my UNIXy systems while in College before I got my first Sun Workstation in the mid ’90’s. > > Interestingly enough. MkLinux was actually ported to Old World PowerMacs by Apple and HP. I think they also made.a version PCs too. > > And Mach10 was interesting. Different. I also had Minix for the Mac, it worked much the same, as an app that sat onto of MacOS. > > - Derrik > > > On Jul 20, 2020, at 4:47 AM, arnold@skeeve.com wrote: > > > > ISTR that A/UX was nothing special as a Unix. Am I failing to remember? > > > > I had had a DMD 5620 at my job, and after I moved to a different place > > and requested one, they graced me with a Macintosh. It could sort of > > do multiple windows, but it was like having a piper cub after being > > used to a 747. > > > > Other interesting bits for the Mac to maybe recover would be Mach Ten, > > which ran Mach on top of regular MacOS. (Talk about inverted pyramids...) > > There was also a Mach/Linux that I think ran on the Mac at some point. > > > > Arnold > > > > Michael Parson wrote: > > > >> On 2020-07-18 23:42, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote: > >>> On 7/18/20 9:46 PM, Wesley Parish wrote: > >>>> I'd still love to have that running. > >>> > >>> I think I've seen articles about people running it running > >>> virtualization / emulation. > >> > >> As far as I've been able to find, there is only one emulator that can > >> run A/UX, shoebill[0]. > >> > >> I've got a Mac Quadra 950 with a Workgroup Server 95 card in it in the > >> garage that I've been planning on someday trying to get A/UX running on, > >> but haven't found enough round tuits. > >> > >> Maybe if someone could rip the 680[34]0+MMU bits out of Win/FS-UAE > >> (Amiga emulator) and patch them into Basilisk II (Mac 68K emulator), > >> A/UX might work there. > >> > >> -- > >> Michael Parson > >> Pflugerville, TX > >> KF5LGQ > >> > >> [0] https://github.com/emaculation/shoebill > >