On Thursday, 7 March 2024 at 19:42:59 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote: > On Thu, Mar 07, 2024 at 08:15:43PM -0500, Jeffry R. Abramson wrote: >> On Thu, 2024-03-07 at 13:08 +0000, Ben Kallus wrote: > > FreeBSD and me got reconnected when Netflix wanted to hire me a > while back. While the kernel may be OK (it's not, ask me how I > know, I walked the code) OK, I'm asking. I've been there too, and I don't see any obvious and serious deficiencies. > FreeBSD is stuck in the 1980s. Raise your hand if you have > installed FreeBSD in the last 20 years. /me raises. > That "UI" for partitioning the disks, so arcane. The whole install > experience is _awful_. Agreed, some of the installation tools could do with improvement. But how often do you install FreeBSD? As I have already noted, I've been using it for 25 years or so, and in the early days I held classes on installing FreeBSD. By about 2000 they seemed a little pointless. In general, once it's there, it's there. You seem to be emphasizing the wrong part of the system. > SunOS was a bug fixed BSD, so I really loved BSD. But BSD is so > dead it is not even funny. Linux is light years ahead. Here is an > example from more than 20 years ago. I was installing RedHat Linux > and the machine I was installing on didn't have a mouse. The > installer was graphical and it was just easier to tab through the > options than go find a mouse. Again, installation. How about *using* the system? And why should you need a *mouse* to install software? Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php