On Mon, 6 Apr 2020, Clem Cole wrote: > He used RT-11 to copy each disk pack sequentially.   That's an ANSI VOL1 > record.   Sadly it's not a full ANSI tape (long story -- it needs HDR1 > records  VMS would have been able to mount it as a foreign tape.    [ Probably getting COFF-ish now ] Blimey, but that takes me back to my OS/360 days... I once wrote a little utility (in assembly, of course) that dumped all the HDR/VOL/etc records. It was a swine to debug (overnight processing because I was a student); I had to leave instructions to the operator to "ABEND with core dump" if the tape merely oscillated back and forth (which it did early on). The first time, I got a snotty note from the operator saying that after watching the tape for half an hour he had to kill it; ah, the joys of overnight remote debugging... Later on I became a volunteer operator on the graveyard shift and was able to sneak in the occasional "foreign order". -- Dave