On Sat, 23 May 2020, Clem Cole wrote: > [...]  Pascal tries to be the answer, but I think it suffered from the > fact that it makes Pascal a production quality language, you had a > extend it and everybody's extensions were different. Perhaps I'm the only one here, but when I was taught Pascal (possibly by Dr. Lions himself) it was emphasised to us that it was not a production language bur a *teaching* language; you designed your algorithm, debugged it with the Pascal compiler, then hand-translated it into your favourite language (and debugged it again :-/). That damned "pre-fill read buffer" was always a swine with interactive sessions, though; I recall Andrew Hume threatening to insert a keyboard into the terminal's CRT if he saw that "?" prompt on the Cyber... -- Dave