On Mon, 30 Nov 2020, jason-tuhs@shalott.net wrote: > >> "The UNIX Command LanguageĀ is the first-ever paper published on the Unix >> shell. It was written by Ken Thompson in 1976." >> >> https://github.com/susam/tucl > > Thanks for that. > > This reminded me that the Thompson shell used goto for flow control, which I > had forgotten. > > Bourne commented on the omission of goto from the Bourne shell, "I eliminated > goto in favour of flow control primitives like if and for. This was also > considered rather radical departure from the existing practice." > > Was this decision contentious at all? Was there a specific reason for goto's > exclusion in the Bourne shell? > > > Thanks. > > > -Jason My personal opinion is that the way the Bourne shell handled flow control is a lot easier to code for (since I wrote a version of COMMAND.COM, and it has to have a "goto" command, and all the hairiness that goes with needing to be able to random-seek a shell script). -uso.