On 7/21/20 7:16 PM, tytso@mit.edu wrote: > Yeah, that's definitely not right. /sbin had been around for > "essential system binaries" long before Linux, and Linux took it > from there. I'm sorry, I think there has been a misunderstanding. I did not mean to imply that Linux influenced the larger Unix community with /sbin. Rather the other way around, that that's the time that Linux had been influenced about /sbin. > You can see this from the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (earlier > named fsstnd, which specified /sbin as "essential system binaries"). I should revisit that, particularly in light of an older name and use. > SunOS used that nomenclature and the GNU tools all used /sbin for > that purpose. Did Solaris follow in SunOS's foot steps? Or did Solaris do something different? > The other thing I'd again urge is that you not take HJ Lu's boot/root > disks as being influencial after early 1992. Okay. I naively thought that HJ Lu's boot/root was falling out of favor in '93, a year later. Thank you for clarifying Warner. -- Grant. . . . unix || die