As part of UNIX/Xenix history it is interesting to note that Microsoft did participate in the early /usr/group Standard. We started this work in 1981 and produced the Standard in November 1984. The Standard focused primarily on the C language interface to the UNIX operating system. We made every effort to include as many companies as possible in the development of UNIX systems, Including UNIX-like systems, and companies involved in developing UNIX applications. About 70 people from more than 50 companies are listed as involved in the development of the /usr/group Standard. This included IBM, AT&T, DEC, SCO, ISC, plus many other companies - large and small. Henry Burgess of Microsoft was one of the early members, but Bill Gates stopped his participation in this standards effort about one year after the start of this standards effort, as I recall. At the end of the development of this standard, further work on standardization was handed over to IEEE for the development of the POSIX Standard. The first edition of the IEEE Standard Portable Operating System Interface for Computer Environments (IEEE Std 1003.1) was published in 1988. Heinz On 4/8/2021 12:24 AM, Thomas Paulsen wrote: > Hi, > please red > http://www.softpanorama.org/People/Torvalds/Finland_period/xenix_microsoft_shortlived_love_affair_with_unix.shtml > before posting. I can confirm many of the topics the author mentions.­ > > *Von:* Dan Stromberg > *Datum:* 08.04.2021 07:21:12 > *An:* TUHS main list > *Betreff:* [TUHS] Story about Microsoft and *ix > > I heard a while back, that the reason that Microsoft has avoided > *ix so meticulously, was that back when they sold Xenix to SCO, as > part of the deal Microsoft signed a noncompete agreement that > prevented them from selling anything at all similar to *ix. > True? > > > > *Gesendet mit Firemail.de - Freemail*