The only non American one I was aware of came from Brazil, TROPIX. http://allegro.nce.ufrj.br/tropix/index.html I’d written a small thing about it here https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2009/06/18/tropix/ I’ve seen mention of something out of Sweden, although nothing concrete on the name. There is also Демос/DEMOS the BSD code that had been stolen during the cold war, and ported to various Soviet machines & localized. Sent from Mail for Windows 10 From: Arrigo Triulzi Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:01 PM To: arnold@skeeve.com Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org Subject: Re: [TUHS] Old 386 Unix Versions, was: Re: PCC for the i386 On 17 Jul 2019, at 10:10, arnold@skeeve.com wrote: > > emanuel stiebler wrote: > >> On 2019-07-11 18:50, A. P. Garcia wrote: >>> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 12:31 PM Clem cole wrote: >> >>> Did Sun have anything to do with that? I seem to recall something >>> called "Interactive Unix" for the 386, possibly marketed by Sun... >> >> "Interactive Unix" was pretty nice back than. >> Anybody remembers ESIX? Still have the document wall for that ... >> >> Cheers >> > > Sun had a '386 based system in early 90s-ish called the Road Runner. > I never saw it. It ran SunOS 4.x and I think was discontinued by the > time Solaris 2.x came along. > > And, I *do* remember ESIX. We used it for our product at a startup > company I worked for. Initially System V R3 based, IIRC, and then > eventually SVR4; I think we saw an improvement moving to the > BSD fast file system. Does anyone have documentation or history for European efforts in the Unix-like operating systems? For example there was Bull’s Chorus which I seem to recall was based on Mach or a competing microkernel (it was a very long time ago and I used it for no mare than about two hours..). I am rather saddened by the fact that there is so much about all the Unix (and not only Unix) history of computing in the USA and so very little in Europe. I wouldn’t even know where to start, to be honest, all I have as a history is the Italian side from my father and his other mad friends and colleagues in Milan. So little of it is recorded, never mind written down. Arrigo