Yep. The problem with keypunches and teletypes is that they had a limit to how fast you could type on them and you could easily outtype them. The key to being efficient on them was to get into the rhythm of the maximum speed the machine could accept. My first terminal I got to use was actually an ADM1. It had the same arrow keys printed on HJKL as the ADM3. The H and J made sense (backspace and linefeed for left and down). The others were just convenient as they were physically adjacent. To this day, it galls me that emacs uses ^H for help. It's the first thing I change when I install it. By the time vi rolled around I had already learned one of the emacs variants (after a brief stint with a Rand-editor flavored thing called INed). To this day I don't really have much facility in vi. It used to freakout my coworkers no end that if there was no emacs on the machine, I'd just blast through everything using ed. Nice thing about doing a lot of work in ed: you get very good at regular expressions. ------ Original Message ------ From: "Mary Ann Horton" To: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org Sent: 2/6/2021 12:33:53 PM Subject: Re: [TUHS] Typing tutors >At Berkeley, everybody was already a touch typist. That's why vi >commands emphasize lower case letters, especially hjkl which are right >under the home position. The original reason for hjkl was the ADM3A, >but when I added arrow key support to vi and disabled the hardcoded >hjkl, a line of grad students made me put it back. > > >