At Mon, 6 Apr 2020 10:51:05 -0400, ron@ronnatalie.com wrote: Subject: Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership > > > I tried an ngram search on google, and came up with the following: > > > > Richard L. Gauthier. October 1981. Using the Unix System, Reston > > Publishing > > Co. ISBN 978-0835981644. > > > > Gosh, I'd forgotten about Gauthier, perhaps the worst UNIX book ever written. I was going to mention this book as one I thought might be the first book on Unix for a truly general readership. I bought a copy in 1982. Not a very good book indeed. Horribly typeset. Content reminds me of many of the early poor-quality O'Reilly books. But it was available in 1981, a few years before K&P's almost infinitely greater "TUPE" (though TUPE is targeted far more to programmers than general users). -- Greg A. Woods Kelowna, BC +1 250 762-7675 RoboHack Planix, Inc. Avoncote Farms