I log in to zsh on a number of heterogenous machines served by the same OpenLDAP. Because zsh may be installed in different places on those machines (or might not be installed at all), I have my .profile find it, determine how to invoke it, and exec it, thus acting more or less like zsh was my login shell all along. This has worked across many OSes (Linux, Solaris, Mac OS) for years. I'm encountering an odd problem here on a Debian 10 box running zsh 5.7.1 that only manifests when trying to log in at a virtual terminal on the console (i.e. not over ssh). The .profile code (under bash), after figuring out what it's supposed to do, is trying to run: exec /usr/bin/zsh -d -l -i On this installation, zsh hangs. It never even gets to the point where -x starts outputting information. I changed the .profile to strace exec zsh, and it seems to be hanging very early in a loop, seemingly while trying to set up signals. (Brief strace attached.) If I take the 'exec' out, it works fine. If I log in over ssh, it works fine. If I let it drop me at a bash command line and manually run "exec zsh" it works fine. I'm inclined to blame systemd here, not zsh, but I thought if I understood what was going on from the zsh perspective I might get have a better idea what else I might poke to fix this behavior. Thanks, Aaron -- Aaron Hall Improvement makes strait roads, vitaphone.net but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius. -- Wm. Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & Hell