With bash, I got into the following habit. If I started typing a long command and then decided I didn’t want to execute it right now for some reason, I would hit control-A to get back to the start of the line and then add a # in front and hit return. This would put the command into history and so later I could recall it, remove the #, and execute the command. With zsh, when I add the # to the front and hit return I get: zsh: bad pattern: # I found INTERACTIVE_COMMENTS but now I’m curious, what is zsh trying to do with a line starting with # ? e.g. # echo dog