I found a partial solution by adding the _prefix completer (along with the complete_in_word option). However, as you said, the complete_in_word option also matches the trailing part when using menu-complete/select, which I don't prefer. It does work when the trailing part doesn't match anything though. On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 9:53 PM Alan <8fvebtoeq87@gmail.com> wrote: > I see, yes, you're correct. > > I like the expand-or-complete-prefix widget and have it bound to tab. Is > there a way to make menu-complete/menu-select behave like > expand-or-complete-prefix (i.e. complete just what is to the left of the > cursor and ignore anything to the right, as shown in my first email)? > > > On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 9:11 PM Bart Schaefer > wrote: > >> On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 4:58 PM Alan <8fvebtoeq87@gmail.com> wrote: >> > >> > I have COMPLETE_IN_WORD set, but menu-select doesn't respect it. >> >> You're misunderstanding what COMPLETE_IN_WORD does. It tries to match >> both the leading and trailing parts. >> >> What you want is to invoke the expand-or-complete-prefix widget >> instead of the default expand-or-complete. >> >