Many thanks for the help and advice. As well as installing zsh and powerlevel 10k on the gentoo install I have I also did it with ubuntu. Ubuntu is easier because prepared binary packages are available to install things including the nerd fonts. When i installed powerlevel10k using the omyzsh instructions I could get it to run. So I used the standard manual install instructions and it ended up in the /root directory. When I put that path into the .zshrc and ran exec zsh as a user powerlevel 10k began to run. The wizard ran and I set up a dozen or so prompt environment parameters and at the end noticed a warning message: Apply changes to ~/.zshrc? WARNING: ~/.zshrc is readonly and not owned by the user. Cannot modify it. (y) Yes (disabled). (n) No. I know which changes to apply and will do it myself. (r) Restart from the beginning. (q) Quit and do nothing. Choice [nrq]: This meant I could not save the chosen options and carry on with them. What sort of problem is this? is it a file permissions problem? I did not get that problem with the gentoo install. Comments appreciated. Regards MF