thanks all for the clarifications. I will try to use the method described in the tag-order style documentation to answer Daniel: > I take it the documentation of zstyle didn't make this clear, so could you > suggest how to improve it? It's not clear to me what is the meaning of the various "sections"of the pattern (the segments delimited by the colons) what should I put in the first section? is there a list of possible values and relative meaning? and so on for each section why the number of sections is not the same for every pattern? How can I know how many pattern I should put in? I assume the stars are for matching every possible value for that segment, are there other globbing operators available? can I use them for prefix/suffix matching? (eg someth* for something etc) Not that I think it would be particularly useful, but the question came to mind I assume also that the stars don't match multiple segments, but this doesn't seem to be stated in the docs. regards Pier Paolo Grassi linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pier-paolo-grassi-19300217 founder: https://www.meetup.com/it-IT/Machine-Learning-TO Il giorno lun 13 gen 2020 alle ore 18:06 Daniel Shahaf < d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> ha scritto: > Pier Paolo Grassi wrote on Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 17:46:09 +0100: > > if I substitute this as the general case, eg: > > > > zstyle ':completion:*' matcher-list 'm:{a-z}={A-Za-z} l:|=* r:|=*' > > > > then everything get this style, so the syntax is correct. it seem that > what > > is wrong is the pattern. > > I tried some variations of it, with no success: > > > > zstyle ':completion:*:*:episodes:*' ... > > zstyle ':completion:*:episodes:*' ... > > > > my main problem is that I don't really understand the pattern syntax, and > > haven't been able to find a man page detailing it (the documentation on > the > > zstyle builtin doesn't explain it), so I basically try random variations. > > The documentation does explain it; quote: > > For ordering of comparisons, patterns are searched from most > specific to least specific, and patterns that are equally > specific keep the order in which they were defined. A > pattern > is considered to be more specific than another if it contains > more components (substrings separated by colons) or if the > patterns for the components are more specific, where simple > strings are considered to be more specific than patterns and > complex patterns are considered to be more specific than the > pattern `*'. > > The upshot of this is that each of the patterns > ':completion:*:*:episodes:*' > and ':completion:*:episodes:*' is considered to be more specific than > ':completion:*'. A style set under either of the former would have > precedence > over a style set under the latter, _as far as zstyle is concerned_. (See > pws's answer for the caveat.) > > > Using ctrl-x h after episodes on the command line it gives: > > > > tags in context :completion::complete:episodes:: > > argument-rest (_arguments _episodes) > > > > so I've tried: > > zstyle ' :completion::complete:episodes::' > > > > but still to no effect, and also the lack of * seems a little suspicious > > No, the lack of stars is expected. What you put in zshrc is patterns; the > completion system then looks up specific strings that the patterns are > matched > against. The settings attached to the most specific pattern that matches > are > used. > > Minimal example: > > zshrc contains: > > % zstyle ':foo:bar' lorem yes > % zstyle ':foo:*' lorem no > > Then the foo subsystem might run, for example: > > % zstyle -t :foo:bar lorem && pwd > /home/daniel > % zstyle -t :foo:baz lorem && pwd > % > > I take it the documentation of zstyle didn't make this clear, so could you > suggest how to improve it? > > Cheers, > > Daniel >