Thanks for these insights. Yes, I think that behavior makes sense. I find the solution to run in a subshell really clean and elegant. Regards, Samuel On 28.05.21 23:26, Bart Schaefer wrote: > On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 1:02 PM Stephane Chazelas wrote: >> In both cases, tr/yes are being killed (with a SIGPIPE) because >> they're trying to write to a pipe that has no reader. [...] >> >> Which is printed (or rather here the "broken pipe" message >> corresponding to that death-by-SIGPIPE) because of >> PRINT_EXIT_VALUE. > Which is exactly what's supposed to happen when you have that set. > > You can run the pipeline in a subshell to suppress this behavior: > > ( < /dev/urandom tr -dc _A-Z-a-z-0-9 | head -c 32; echo ) > > PRINT_EXIT_VALUE is disabled in subshells because subshells do not > normally maintain a jobs table like an interactive shell does. -- *Samuel Bancal* /IT Eng / *ENAC-IT * /GR A0 464/ EPFL ENAC-IT is opening a new branch IT4Research /to better support our labs in leveraging data in their research! Contact us with any questions related to data management, / /data valorization, data science and computational tools. /