I was looking at the development guide and saw this: The primary language is ANSI C as defined by the 1989 standard, but the code should always be compatible with late K&R era compilers ("The C Programming Language" 1st edition, plus "void" and "enum"). There are many hacks to avoid the need to actually restrict the code to K&R C -- check out the configure tests -- but always bear the compatibility requirements in mind. In particular, preprocessing directives must have the "#" unindented, and string pasting is not available. 5.9 does not compile with gcc's c89 on EL 8 or 9 (Rocky specifically). I intend to test FreeBSD and Solaris as well, but haven't yet. I will point out the C99 standard is now a quarter century old. I propose that we update the development guide to remove the bit about the 1989 standard (much less K&R compatibility) since it is no longer true, and I personally question if it even makes sense as a goal 30+ years in to development.