On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, 3:36 PM Daniel Shahaf wrote: > > I see. Yes, we can bless $HISTCHARS as the preferred spelling for > native mode and keep $histchars for csh compatibility…but doesn't this > imply that we should add a $SIGNALS variable (and possibly deprecate > $signals)? > No, I was not suggesting any change to native mode. I'm merely saying that if we can't have the lower-case version in sh/ksh modes, we need the upper case one there. $signals is strictly informational, so it doesn't need to be present in those modes at all, but HISTCHARS is writable and controls features of history.