Hi, folks! Long time no see... I have a particular compinit setup where special-chars from a var (other than spaces) are not backslash-escaped. To duplicate: zsh -f autoload -Uz compinit compinit zstyle ':completion:*' completer _oldlist _expand _complete _match _ignored _files _prefix zstyle ':completion:*:expand:*' tag-order all-expansions bindkey -e bindkey '\t' complete-word mkdir 'foo; bar (baz)' cd !:1 cd $PWD The result is "cd foo;\ bar\ (baz)" instead of "cd foo\;\ bar\ \(baz\)". If the instead executes expand-or-complete rather than complete-word then it is expanded correctly, but I like to avoid var expansion in a path unless I'm expanding the var itself (e.g. I don't want "vim $OLDPWD/fname" to expand $OLDPWD since I'm not tabbing right next to the var). The bug has been around for ages, and is still in the current git source. I'm guessing that the _expand script needs a tweak, but I didn't see what might be wrong after a quick glance. ..wayne..