* Re: [9fans] Foreign keyboard layout
@ 2001-09-24 16:58 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-09-24 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the keyboard map driver boyd mentions provides a keyboard map device, but
is distributed in a package that also changes kbd.c to allow its rune tables to
be read and written.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2282 bytes --]

To: Boyd Roberts <boyd@fr.inter.net>
Cc: "9 fans (lista correo)" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Foreign keyboard layout
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:52:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Boyd Roberts wrote:

> iirc, there is a driver that has a mapping file which you
> can read/write tuples of the form:
>
>     shift scancode rune

Thanks. Please, do you remember what driver and/or file(s) are you talking
about?
I've found hardcoded keyboard mapping in both:
	/sys/src/9/$cputype/kbd.c       (machine-dependent kernel code)
	/sys/src/libcontrol/keyboard.c
Maybe there are other files like these.

TIA,

JAMM

* Re: [9fans] Foreign keyboard layout
@ 2001-09-27  1:05 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-09-27  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hence the comment in kbd.c:

	KF=		0xF000,	/* function key (begin Unicode private space) */

my comment was more that looking at the code
i think nothing really depends on Spec being 0x80
and it could just as easily be 0xF000.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1884 bytes --]

From: "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@fr.inter.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:58:41 +0200

> i think you can safely ,s/Spec/KF/g and the
> keyboard driver will still work, without
> any 0x80 bits.

brucee tells me:

# Runes for special purposes (0xe800-0xfdff is Private Use Area)

* Re: [9fans] Foreign keyboard layout
@ 2001-09-26 22:45 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-09-26 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-09-26 22:10 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-09-26 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you can map Shift and some of the other special keys
elsewhere in the Unicode space; it's not quite like
the use of 0200 by the old shells.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2790 bytes --]

From: "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@fr.inter.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:43:44 +0200

azerty support is advancing, but i'm now at the point
of a pc/kbd.c hack or re-write to get it support certain
latin1 chars and shift/alt/alt-gr to work right.

the problem, but i'll have to study the code, is that it
uses the 8th bit to indicate a shifted char and then a series
of chars in the bottom end of the latin1 codespace to indicate
shift/ctrl/alt/etc.

this is a big problem because the runes are overloaded 'cos
an azerty keyboard 'generates' stuff with the 8th bit set.

this is reminiscent of the way the bourne shell used the
8th bit to indicate quoting -- yuk, and that's before
we get to the sigsegv memory management ...

a quick hack would be to use the 16th bit, but that may
provoke exactly the same problem further down the track,
which i most certainly want to avoid.

i hope i don't have to read the unicode spec -- gag ...

* Re: [9fans] Foreign keyboard layout
@ 2001-09-26 17:08 rog
From: rog @ 2001-09-26 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>   http://home.fr.inter.net/boyd/office/MVC-329S.JPG

and the gun is just in case that "weird" vaio gets up
and starts havin' a go at you?

* Re: [9fans] Foreign keyboard layout
@ 2001-09-24 17:47 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-09-24 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i think part of the problem is that the package
that's on the net isn't up to date.  i've got the
keyboard map stuff in one of our 3rd edition machines
so i should be able to update the package on the
web site.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2145 bytes --]

From: "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@fr.inter.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 19:21:00 +0200

> a package that also changes kbd.c to allow its rune tables to
> be read and written.

trouble is i need a kbd.c with a sum of:

    35efc618 11837

what i have is:

    f7763504 8358

i've snooped around in the updates but can't find what i need.

* [9fans] Foreign keyboard layout
@ 2001-09-18  7:02 Jesus A. Mora
From: Jesus A. Mora @ 2001-09-18  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: jamoram

Surely I'm missing the point, but is there any simple and straightforward
way to configure an alternative keyboard layout (spanish keyboard, in my
case)? I've seen no clear reference in the man pages, and found only a
hardcoded mapping in /sys/src/9/cputype/kbd.c

Hints? RTFM? man anything(x)?

TIA

JAMM