* [9fans] Is plan9 new group a victim of lucent cuts?
@ 2001-01-27  3:23 Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-01-27  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

hey guys,

please tell me that plan9 is not a victim of the recent Lucent cuts.
It has just been quite on the list lately. Even the limbo and inferno
list have been idle. I posted to the plan9 list about the ipaq but have
not got a response or even seen my post. (yeah i know that the list
is moderated and they do other things besides moderate this news
group) sorry for being so paranoid. I just hate to think
about something as cool as plan9 possibly going up in smoke.

thanks,
sam@ducksworth.com

* Re: [9fans] Is plan9 new group a victim of lucent cuts?
@ 2001-01-27  9:56 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-27  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Sam Ducksworth <sam@ducksworth.com>

> please tell me that plan9 is not a victim of the recent Lucent cuts.

not that i'm trying to say it's the same case, but look how
Xerox just left PARC floating in the wind.  _fumbling the
future_ is an interesting read.

yeah, they had the bitmapped display, the ethernet and
the laser printer and it was just chucked away, unless
you consider that the ideas stolen by jobs, which turned
into the mac, to be a 'success'.

bunch of the PARC guys [the greybeards] left when Taylor
was fired and SRC [Digital] was created.

some also turned up at WRL.