From: "Moritz W. Schmitt" <mws@foo.tarsius.org>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Monitor problems
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 19:55:56 +0100	[thread overview]

> I just installed Plan 9 on my computer. The installation process
> finished without any errors. But when I booted Plan 9 for the
> first time and it tried to start the GUI my monitor switches to
> the out-of-sync-screen. How can I change the sync range to solve
> this problem?

I just read my posting for the first time and I found out that I made an
error in describing my problem. I wrote "out-of-sync-screen" and "sync
range". I don't know why I used "sync" but it's wrong. The correct version
would be "out-of-range-screen" and "range".

Since I'm writing already I can provide some more information I found out.
In my case Plan 9 tries to use a horizontal frequency of 25.2 KHz and a
vertical frequency of 39 Hz for the graphical part of the user interface.
Both are too low for my monitor. (FYI: My monitor supports a HF from 30 to
70 KHz and a VF from 50 to 150 Hz.). The graphic card I'm using is an AGP
ATI Rage XL with an Mach64 chipset.

Any help is appreciated.

-Moritz

PS: Merry Christmas to whom it may concern.