* [9fans] http://mapage.noos.fr/~repo
@ 2001-04-23  1:45 Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-23  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

well, it's up, a first cut, distributed and works.

no passwords, no nuthin'.

the beauty of a web solution is that it's not resource limited
(among other things).

if you find broken links report them.

i you don't like it flame away.

if you've got a better idea mail/post it.

btw:  'repo' is taken from the film _repo man_.

* Re: [9fans] http://mapage.noos.fr/~repo
@ 2001-10-01 10:12     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-10-01 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yeah, we had that discussion some time ago, and a lot of Plan 9 people
> claimed that the library incompatibilities weren't a problem!

stat(2) springs to mind :)

* Re: [9fans] http://mapage.noos.fr/~repo
@ 2001-10-01  9:55   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-10-01  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-09-28 18:56   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-09-28 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I did it; it only kind of works.  There are some bugs.  Boyd can fix
> them if he wants to.  Also, it uses APE, ...

i didn't know there was a port, but i have two motivations, err 3:

    1. finally wanna do some plan 9 work (and now i have the time)
    2. i want to do a native port (ie. no ape, except pcc -E)
    3. i'll learn a lot about python

> Plus it can't do dynamic loading of compiled C code from shared
> libraries for obvious reasons and so there is a rather large subset of
> python programs that won't work.

that can't be too hard.  i'm pretty sure brucee's 'bedbug' debugger
could dynamically load and execute stuff.  i remember him showing
me the code at basser in '83 or so.

* Re: [9fans] http://mapage.noos.fr/~repo
@ 2001-09-28 16:55 ` Jonathan Sergent
From: Jonathan Sergent @ 2001-09-28 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Friday, September 28, 2001, at 09:50 AM, Russ Cox wrote:

> The wiki claims that
>
>  *	There's a Python port at
> 	[http://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/plan9/python/].
>
> Does this one not work, Boyd?

I did it; it only kind of works.  There are some bugs.  Boyd can fix
them if he wants to.  Also, it uses APE, and so there are a set of
things that it would be nice to extend it to do that you can't, such as
using the graphics/drawing libraries (since those won't work as far as I
can reason with the APE libraries, since there are functions with the
same names that do different things in libc/libap).

Plus it can't do dynamic loading of compiled C code from shared
libraries for obvious reasons and so there is a rather large subset of
python programs that won't work.

--jss.

* Re: [9fans] http://mapage.noos.fr/~repo
@ 2001-09-28 16:50 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-09-28 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The wiki claims that

 *	There's a Python port at
	[http://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/plan9/python/].

Does this one not work, Boyd?

Russ

* [9fans] http://mapage.noos.fr/~repo
@ 2001-09-28 11:08 Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-09-28 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

after months of being slack, and the abandonning of the automated version,
(it was functional, but visually ugly) i've updated:

    http://mapage.noos.fr/~repo

to include:

    1) my mail which includes russ' mail:

           how to do a (floppy) diskless plan 9 install

       so it will be publicly available and i won't lose it again.

    2) A basic irc bot that evals commands it's given with
       the permission & namespace of whoever started it.
       http://www.proweb.co.uk/~matt/chugly.rc

my apologies to matt for the delay.

once i get the azerty mess worked out i'll add it too.

and then the bits necessary for the mythical python port.